Friday, March 17, 2017

Starting Monday!

It's been 18 months since my cycling accident that resulted in a new hip, four surgeries on my arms, and repairs to my jaw and teeth. Though physically I am but a shadow of my former self compared to those days when I regularly cycled two-hundred miles per week, next Monday I will once again straddle my bike and work my way back into shape.

My road bike, an Orbea, is 11 years old and was a gift from Sandy for my 50th birthday. Since then I've put thousands of miles on it. Now it's tuned and ready to go, the weather is perfect for cycling, the back roads are calling my name, and my expectations are realistic. I will begin by measuring time in the saddle; neither speed nor actual miles matter. I'm looking forward to increasing my cardio, strengthening my legs, hearing the shush of the wind in my helmet, and feeling the wind upon my face.

When I reach some of my conditioning goals, I will find a group of riders to push me. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy the sheer pleasure of re-engaging in something that for years I have immensely enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment