Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Somewhere Around Midnight

Josh arrived last night. He is always pleasant and helpful company. As I write, I am in the ejection seat/recliner and Josh is fast asleep on the couch (we have three other beds, but he just wants to look out for his dad).

If there is any pattern to my nighttime, it is this. I start out in bed around 10 pm. Then, somewhere around midnight, aches and pains (and other issues I am sure you do not want to know) force me out to the lift-chair/recliner specially designed for people recuperating from surgeries like mine.

Next, I try to read, which is next to impossible, followed by writing down a few thoughts which is frustrating (I have no feeling in 4 of my 8 fingers). Using a modified two-finger pecking system, I manage to gather letters from a swirling keyboard that become words. Thoughts like the following emerge…

After spending the bulk of my adult life around peers who, like myself, consider themselves Christian, now only a fragment of my face to face time is with people who are regular church-goers. But during this recovery, this remnant have indeed been Christ-like toward Sandy and me. They have prayed for us in our presence and over the phone. Generous baskets of food have been delivered, and they continue to reach out to us however they sense God prompting. It's beautiful...

A second group of friends and caregivers has emerged. As most of you know, although I still pastor, I am in somewhat of a different career. The end-game is the same, but my route is quite different. My second career, with Corporate Chaplains of America, allows me to build relationships with some of the most caring people you could ever meet. Yet, I may never see them at church. However, as the events of this accident unfolded they called, came by the ER, sent baskets of food, and reached out in many ways. A couple of these friends, not frequenters of houses of prayer, told me they would pray for me... like I prayed for them during their crises. It's beautiful...

No comments:

Post a Comment