Friday, January 30, 2015

Last Sunday...

I will speak for the last time at First Baptist Church, Phenix City, Alabama on February 1. For the last six months I have been serving this body of believers as interim while a search committee has been about its task of finding a successor to their former pastor who passed away after a thirty year tenure. For the time being, their mission is complete and FBPC has called a pastor. During my time there we witnessed the God-breathed promise that the apostle Paul gave to ancient believers in Corinth that--until Christ returns--remains relevant: one plants, another waters, but God gives the increase. I believe we saw fifteen people profess faith in Christ and follow the Lord in Believer's baptism during this season. Along with that there have been many redemptive conversations with the good people there. I know that God's Spirit formed a lasting bond between us.

Over the years I have had the privilege of delivering God's Word to many congregations--in the northeast and northwest of the United States, and many States in between. God's Providence has allowed me to do the same in Canada and Mexico. In South America, Asia, the Bahamas, and northern Europe I have had the immense privilege to open the Scriptures and expound its central message--Jesus Christ--and can testify to the life-changing power of the gospel.

On February 8, I will be speaking at Emmanuel Baptist Church, here in Cataula. Back in the day--from where I live at The Shire--it would have been about ten long-tosses of a baseball. With the passing of each day, each month, and each year my sense of gratitude toward God intensifies. I know my story. I realize that apart from the gracious intervention of God's love, mercy, and patience my life could have taken a very different course...

No comments:

Post a Comment