Saturday, January 10, 2015

It's Only A Game...

The Patriots beat the Ravens tonight. But long before the game ended, I once again came to the conclusion that it is nothing more than a game of sport. Indeed, I want the Pats to run the table and grab the brass ring as Superbowl Champions, but real life reminds me that it's nothing more than entertainment. To a great degree we vacate our minds for a few hours from the harsh reality that life between the sunrise and sunset sometimes brings us.

Today, I met with a lady who prematurely lost her little one that she had been carrying; her first. Needless to say, she was distraught. In the last two weeks I have stood at the bedside of six persons that passed through the shadowlands. One of them was a suicide. I am grateful for the distraction of sports, but I realize that, in the end, it's just a game. Nothing of any real consequence is at stake. The gladiators of the gridiron are a weak metaphor to the reality of life. Their careers are short lived, well heralded, exorbitantly paid, but much longer than the life of the little one who exited its mother's womb long before it was sturdy enough to survive.




No comments:

Post a Comment