Sunday, January 11, 2015

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

This morning the church where I have been the interim had a potential candidate speaking, so Sandy and I attended Calvary Baptist in Columbus, GA. with some friends. I will return to FBPC for a only few more Sundays if they choose to call the candidate.

Many of you are familiar with the book and movie Blackhawk Down. The pastor at Calvary Baptist, Jeff Struecker, was heavily involved in that battle in Mogadishu, and was decorated for heroism. There was no sign of self-importance as he walked to the pulpit to the Rolling Stones song, I can't get no satisfaction and introduced his current series Chasing Idols: What are you living for? Fortunately, Calvary has an early service that begins at 8:30 a.m., so I am hopeful to hear more. I will have time to attend Calvary and then cross the river into Alabama to speak at FBPC.

Along with quotes from Thomas Aquinas, John Piper, C.S. Lewis, and others, it was a quote from C.S. Lewis that closed the message: We as people are too easily pleased. If we are chasing the temporal--what this world alone can offer--we will discover:

Pleasure doesn't satisfy the soul

Pleasure doesn't last forever

Pleasure distracts from the eternal

Struecker's challenge for the week was for each listener to ask themselves: Am I too easily pleased?

A good question... 

No comments:

Post a Comment