Sunday, January 11, 2015

Books And Art...

For Christmas I received several books--the kind that you actually get the pleasant privilege of turning the pages with your fingers. Any book I read is highlighted, and I don't use a book mark--I dog-ear the last page I read. When I come across a word I don't know I look it up (Mrs. Bankston, my high school English teacher, would be proud of me on several levels--not the least of which that I became an avid adult reader and learner). Please do not hold her responsible for my poor grammar and punctuation. I'm a really late bloomer. Progressing through each text or novel, by looking at the thickness of the pages left to read, that are on the right as it is open in my hands, I get enjoyment at seeing just how far in someone's thoughts or story I have traveled. I read the whole book, and usually track down the footnotes and check to see what books they read that lead to the book they have written. I have scores of ebooks (I am in the middle of 5 of them). Ebooks are great to have at my disposal when for some reason or other I am waiting for someone or something--which is quite often. I just finished one of those Christmas gift books, Bonhoeffer. Now I am reading Silence, by Shusaku Endo. After that I will read American Sniper, an autobiography by Chris Kyle.

I have also started more intense art classes--about 18 hours worth. I hope to become better with the medium of watercolor. We will work on portraits and still life. When these lessons are finished, I hope to take more art classes at Columbus State Continuing Education. Those lessons will be for the sole study of doing portraits.

In the midst of that I continue to work with Corporate Chaplains, Columbus Regional Hospital, and will soon conclude an interim with a church in Alabama. People are the most precious and complex of all God's creation. I read because of a wonderful desire to do so, and sit quietly with an author. I love art, because it helps me see a world that is so easy to miss if you don't know how to look...

No comments:

Post a Comment