Thursday, December 4, 2014

Unusual Experience

A few minutes ago, I looked out Sandy's office window and saw a deer bedded down on the very back edge of the pond. It's well over one hundred yards from my vantage point. I picked up my binoculars for a closer look. Bringing the lenses into focus, I could see that it was a young deer and that it had a scarlet red wound on its front leg. After a while it slowly stood up and and lethargically waded in the shallows along the banks. Surprisingly, it pointed its nose toward the center of the pond and began swimming. Slowly, it made a tired arc back toward the shore, rolled over on its side, and expired.

I dragged the young doe out of the pond. All the signs indicated that it had been hit by an automobile. The scarlet I could see through the binoculars proved to be a couple patches of severe road rash. Closer observation revealed a pair of jagged slashes that followed its spine.

It was an unusual experience to witness. The Shire is an unusual place...

No comments:

Post a Comment