Sunday, August 31, 2014

Confessions...

But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name." his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary holding it in; indeed, I cannot. ~ Jeremiah 20:9

Church this morning had a predictably lower attendance and even lower energy. SEC Football, coupled with Labor Day weekend seems to leave the community gathering with little more than the dregs of focus and attention. Speaking as a preacher, I try to steel myself against the inevitable, the letdown, but it drains me. It is more than psychological, it is spiritual. There is a noticeable disconnect as we gather to worship the Creator.

I know, I know, it's part and parcel of the culture we reach out to. But nonetheless, I struggle with the reality of our obsession with mainstream life versus our ambivalence toward eternal realities.

After "church," I laid face-down on our bed. In a funk. Covered not by a blanket, but, instead, weariness. I slept, awakened, took a walk, and settled in with my family and guests. Tomorrow, I will once again open my Bible, read it silently, then aloud. Look at each noun, verb, adjective and adverb, all the while asking God to make it real to me. I will ask for the faith to believe it is indeed the living Word of God. I will ask for spiritual guidance to "rightly divide it." I will ask for strength to live it.

Confessions…




No comments:

Post a Comment