Saturday, May 17, 2014

Within My Power


Royce photo-bombed Miguel and me…
 

On July 7, 2009, I was in a motorcycle accident that should have killed me. I was traveling at approximately forty mph when a car pulled out in front of me. I hit it broadside. My back was significantly damaged when I landed on the highway twenty-five or more feet from the point of impact.

On May 9, 2014, I was troubled/worried at how cranky my back was as I sat on a wooden bench in the Peruvian jungle church. The old injury is starting to catch up with me. At one point, I tried to stand and couldn't. I gathered myself, stood, and then wondered if I would be able to walk another step, or sit for five more minutes. All of this caught me off guard. Over all, for my age, I am in better than average physical condition. I weigh about twelve pounds more than I did when I graduated high school. I am active. On the Amazon River, I was shocked at how physically hampered I was for the first time in my adult life.

Upon arriving back at The Shire, I immediately focused on my physical core strength, specifically working on my lower back and abdominals. I cycle, so my cardio and legs are fine. I am not "old," but neither am I getting any younger. My sixth decade (the new 40's) is less than two years out. But most importantly, I am committing myself to a prayer of the Psalmist. I want to resist the wisdom of the age that encourages us to give in and slow down and coast into the shadow lands. As much as is within my power, I want to finish as strong as possible--out on the edges--proclaiming God's power to a new generation for as long as possible.

O Lord, you alone are my hope.
I've trusted you, O LORD, from childhood. 

And now, in my old age, don't set me aside. 
Don't abandon me when my strength is failing.

But I will keep hoping for your help;
I will praise you more and more.

I will tell everyone about your righteousness. 
All day long I will proclaim your saving power, 
though I am not skilled with words. 

I will praise your mighty deeds, O Sovereign LORD.
I will tell everyone that you alone are just.

O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood,
and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. 

Now that I am old and gray,
do not abandon me, O God.

Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, 
your mighty miracles to all who come after me. 

  

1 comment:

  1. Being involved in a motorcycle accident must've been a terrifying experience for you. The injury that is catching up now must be worrying you. Have you gotten it checked recently? Anyway, I think it's good how you are focusing on your physical core strength to beat your injury. I wish you all the best towards your healing! :)

    Roman Barnes @ JandJ Law

    ReplyDelete