Friday, April 4, 2014

We're Not Finished...

In my first book I told you, Theophilus, about everything Jesus began to do and teach until the day he was taken up to heaven after giving his chosen apostles further instructions through the Holy Spirit. 
~ Acts 1:1-2

As I was growing up, many, many times those already grown-up told me, "Your dad is the hardest working man I ever met." Nothing I witnessed ever contradicted those unsolicited testimonies. He provided for a family of seven. We didn't get everything we wanted, but we got everything we needed.

Dad was also a better than average athlete. Many from his era would remember how he could whip a softball, windmill style, that would zip across home plate like a blur. He also was artistic, creating lettered signs for businesses, pin striping his vehicles, and sketching anything that captured his imagination. Maybe it's because I was so fascinated by his ability to draw that I clearly remember seeing his creations and instructional books lying around the house. Many of his drawings were unfinished (I never remember him taking a day of vacation). Sometimes dad would doodle comic-like pictures also. One in particular comes to mind: he drew it for me as I fidgeted during what seemed like the longest church sermon ever preached. It was a Model T, Ford. It had no engine, but instead was powered by two sets of human feet! The guys sitting in it--one in the front seat, and one in the backseat--were wearing hats and waving. The driver was smoking a corncob pipe.

At this point in life, I, too, am starting to sketch and see if there is a latent gift my father left me ready to be developed.

A couple of weeks ago I came across the "Unfinished Portrait" of FDR that was started at "The Little White House" in Warm Springs, Georgia. President Roosevelt died before it was completed. When I saw it, I thought of how much I wished I had something that my father had started that I could finish. Nothing remains that any of my family is aware of.

But, not so for any of us that are a child of God, through faith in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. Luke's statement about Jesus, bears a vague resemblance to the thoughts about my father, and reminds us of "The things that Jesus began to do and teach." The physician/apostle knew that even though everything needed to provide our salvation was provided when Jesus said, "It is finished," the completed portrait that will make up Christ's church in the end, a montage of people from every tribe and tongue, is a canvas that we all are to put our pens, pencils, and brushes to spiritually speaking.

Thankfully, Jesus gifts every last one who receives him to pick-up where He left off...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment