Saturday, April 19, 2014

Tetelestai

To the Greeks, the perfection of oratory was being able to say much in little: "To give a sea of matter in a drop of language." ~ A. W. Pink

"It is finished." ~ Jesus Christ

Last night, at Crosscurrent Church, I spoke on Jesus' sixth saying from the cross.

In Luke 19:30, a single Greek word was translated into English as "It is finished." Had you or I been at the foot of the cross, we would have heard Jesus cry out Tetelestai. That one word contained a sea of matter in a drop of language.

As I was preparing to speak to that phrase my goal was to keep my remarks to five-to-eight minutes. My first thoughts focused around the inflection we would have heard in Jesus' words. Mark's Gospel account tells us that Jesus' words from the cross were spoken in a loud voice. Jesus cry: It is finished, was not the desperate scream or resignation of a helpless victim. No, his was a shout of triumph; an exclamation that the fulfilling culmination of a treacherous mission was completed. Throughout the Gospels, Jesus talked of his commitment to carry out the precise will of his Father. There was nothing random about the footsteps of the Son of Man…

The Son does nothing by himself. He only does what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does the Son does… I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do…  I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of my Father who sent me… My Father, if it be possible may this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine. John 5:21; 6:35; 17:4; Matthew 26:39

Hanging on the cross, Jesus could see beyond the physical horizon. Just a final breath away a new day was about to dawn. Soon, behind him would be every prophecy that spoke to him as the suffering Messiah, the Law--that he didn't come to destroy--would be fulfilled and take its proper place in his Father's plan, the shedding of sacrificial blood of bulls and goats would be rendered unnecessary, and the painful and agonizing violence of the wickedness unleashed against the Lamb of God would soon end.

But most important of all, the journey toward mankind's redemption and salvation--determined before the foundation of the world--was procured. It is finished! Soon he would be seated at the right hand of the Father as the advocate for us sinners for whom he laid down his life.

Tetelestai   

No comments:

Post a Comment