Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Countdown...

My Father is always working, and so am I… I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will.  ~ Jesus (John 5:17; 6:36)

The capsules of typhoid medicine are finished. Today I started the daily regimen of malaria pills that will continue for the duration of our time in Peru and extend a week beyond our return. I have checked and rechecked the packing list. It appears I have everything recommended for our 10 days on the Amazon. Over the last couple of months Rick, Royce, and I have huddled up, planned, and laid out a basic strategy for once our boots are on the ground. But like most things in life, nothing will go as we planned. Yet, we know that God is always at work, always has a plan, and we leave with a clear understanding of the need to be fluid and flexible to His purposes.

Me, I wouldn't have it any other way. Neither would Jesus.

Lord willing, we will land in Lima, Peru just before midnight this Friday. In the morning we will take another in-country flight down to the Amazon. Rick and Royce have been nurturing this outreach since 2007, so once on the river, we will rely heavily on the network of interpreters, and Peruvians my comrades have developed over the years.  If need be, we will be able to touch base with the U.S. via satellite phone. My friend, Jerome, lent me a Gopro camera for the trip. It is brand new--never been out of the box. Since I have tried to live most of my life out-of-the-box, I had to get my 12 year old neighbor, Scott, show me how to use it. I will show Jerome how to use it when I return. It has a waterproof case, so I plan on getting some adventurous pictures beneath the surface of the Amazon.

Enough calories will be stowed away in my backpack--rations of dried fruit, nuts, and powdered electrolytes--to sustain me physically. Enough of the Truth is stored in my head and heart to sustain me spiritually with plenty left over to feed those I will be teaching. God is always at work, so we should be too. It's not about what we want--it's about what He wants.

Thanks for your prayers...








No comments:

Post a Comment