Monday, December 16, 2013

Who Says...

As I inch ever closer to sixty--just completed my 58th trip around the sun--I still love the woods and adventures in the great outdoors. I hope to exit this planet with my hiking boots on, or in a tree stand, or in a kayak, or sitting around a campfire. Preferably in close proximity to the cabin in Maine. People around here call me "Bill," but in my heart I remain "Billy" (all my friends from high school still call me Billy, and other names I won't list). However, I am becoming quite domesticated (which unnerves me a bit). Yep. I am learning to cook. And I don't mean just throwing precooked stuff in a microwave or firing up the grill. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Sandy told me she was getting me something different for my birthday--something I didn't ask for. That had to be the understatement of the year! I now have in my possession a resource that provides: Everything You Need to Know to Become a Great Cook.

It's all part of the adventure, and I promise, Sandy, I can make cooking an adventure. I mean, I look at it this way. My new book has 821 pages (hopefully, it's not a case of "Those who cannot do--teach."), so I find comfort in knowing beyond any reasonable doubt that many salads were tossed and steaks were mis-steaks along the learning curve of those culinary giants who published this monstrosity. Sheesh! Even without the pictures it has more to say than the God of the universe who spoke through prophets over a period of 1400 years! But I digress.

Nope. Chopping chives, sorting spices, and sauteing spinach is not the adventure I dream of, but it is one I am enjoying, a worthy skill, a challenge, and it makes you smile.

Any who, Honey. Who says there are no new worlds to conquer? I  came--I saw--I cooked! Satisfaction and pleasure are mine when setting your table--especially when we are really cooking together (wink, wink). Thank you for the book. Praying that my adventures in cooking won't turn into a nightmares or cases of food poisoning.



P.S. Quiche me quick and fondue me. It will prevent boredom from setting in...


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday "Pastor Shorey." That's the best name I have for you.

    Best Wishes, Steve

    ReplyDelete