Monday, October 28, 2013

Hide-and-Seek

Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty! When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the LORD." And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. Psalm 32:1-5

Often when we are feeling guilty it is because we are. If we try to stuff that awareness down beneath the sensitive edges of our holy conscience it only increases our spiritual blindness, and creates a callous on our righteous souls that allows us to expand our boundaries of unacceptable bad behavior. We convince ourselves it is acceptable. If we refuse to take ownership of our sin, and we are a child of God, He will lean on us day and night. Heavier and heavier. God never sleeps and is quite weighty.

What do we do with guilt?

The best thing we can do with our sense of guilt is to take it immediately to God. That was something, by his own confession, David did not do. Choosing to hide it, his once stout spirit evaporated, cracked, and dried-up like a dusty river bottom under a desert sun.

Never play hide-and-seek. But if we are not sure what it is that's wrong, David gives us a clue as to where to begin the search. We must ask ourselves, "What are we trying to hide?" Rest assured, nothing brought to God will remain hidden, and we can clearly and concisely confess our sin.

There is another aspect to confession that is equally important--accept God's forgiveness and clearing away of our guilt. Live in the new found transparency, the light-hearted freedom of forgiveness, and boldly declare, "All my guilt is gone."  

No comments:

Post a Comment