Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Our Place is Their Place

O how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide. Yes, I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws. Psalm 119: 97-99

As Sandy and I prayed together this morning, part of her prayer was this portion of the Psalms. She was asking for God's wisdom and guidance she would need for those special moments that arise during the day. Sandy is high school teacher--a very good one.

Me, I pastor about four hundred people, but I don't have a church--per se. I work as a corporate chaplain. Both Sandy and I go about our days as teachers and responders. More than anything, we want to speak into the lives of those we encounter with words that reflect God's heart and wisdom. We think about that all day long--having an audience is serious business.

In reality, though, it's the same for every Christ-follower. Our place in this world, no matter our vocation, is to engage with fellow sojourners trying to find their place in this world--a world that has mostly forgotten God. To do so, like David, we need to listen to what we are saying, watch where we are going, and determine whose wisdom we are trusting.  








No comments:

Post a Comment