Sunday, September 15, 2013

From Dawn to Daylight

I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words... ~ Psalm 119: 146

On Friday, Bob and I left Columbus, GA. and drove to L. A. On Saturday, we left L. A. and drove back to Columbus (L. A. being "Lower Alabama"). We have been friends for about thirteen years, and both of us really enjoy the outdoors. Bob has a pretty good chunk of land in Alabama with a cabin, five acre bass lake, and deer stands strategically placed to optimize concealment.

We trailered his orange and white Kubota tractor to L. A., off-loaded it, and Bob worked like a trooper bush-hogging his food plots, the perimeter of lake, and a dozen narrow woods roads. Me, I zig-zagged, back-and-forth across the lake in his john-boat, simultaneously pouring a sugar-like pond-fertilizer on it. Most of the time I was back at the cabin reading a book on art, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards, practicing drawing, continuing in Psalm 119, journaling, taking a nap, or going outside--camera on the ready--to wander the property.

On Saturday morning, I woke up at my usual time around five a.m., but stayed in bed and lay thinking about a bunch of different things. I can't say that, like David, I was crying out to God, but I was definitely praying through a number of thoughts that have been regularly coming to visit. Soon the black skies began to turn gray and the rays of a fresh new day began streaming through the windows. I rolled out of bed, brewed coffee, and started down to the dock. While we slept, spiders the size of humming birds had stretched their silky strands across the path, and I cringed as I swatted my way through them. The smell of freshly mown grass, the mirrored surface of the water, and watching dawn spread across that little patch of the world made it a peaceful and worshipful time.


Sunday morning, Sandy and I gathered with our church family. As hundreds stood to sing, I stood too. That same prayer list that came to mind in Letohatchee returned to visit me. There was no drama in my posture, or crying out for help, but my heart was filled with hope, an awareness of the presence of God, and a deep desire to hear from Him. It was a peaceful and worshipful time as answers to the weekends prayers began to break like daylight on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment