Thursday, August 8, 2013

Pushed to the Limit

I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. ~ Psalm 119:32

For you are free, yet you are God's slaves, so don't use your freedom as an excuse to do evil. ~ 1Peter 2:16 

Two wheels, and a breeze! We love cycling! Pedaling along country roads with only the sounds of nature, and the wind shushing through our helmets brings with it a sense of freedom.

Me, I love flying down a long hill or ridge line. Once, I hit nearly sixty miles per hour down a mile-long hill in Greenfield, Maine. It was exhilarating--right up to the point when my front wheel started to shimmy. Fortunately, it all worked out. I stayed on my bike, in the saddle, on the paved highway, and got my aluminum and carbon-fiber rocket under control! The speed limit was forty five miles per hour for an automobile. Going nearly sixty on a bicycle was a bad idea--that seemed good at the time.

Conversely, David says he was able to live wide-open because he knew God's limits. Interesting, isn't it? It's the same for us. God puts limits on our lives, so that we can live with no limits! He gives us a specific lane to run, and says, "Give it all you got!"

We get it backwards sometimes, don't we. How many times have we chosen the wrong kind of adventure, because we think the right kind means no adventure at all? Through the Psalmist, God says to us in effect, "Don't worry, the path I have laid out for you won't bore you to death. I will expand your boundaries in ways you never could. You won't be playing it safe. No, My limits will push you to the limit! I dare you. Come, live your lives in a wild and sanctified freedom!"


No comments:

Post a Comment