Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ally of the Aging

Let me proclaim your power to this new generation...
My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection...and now, in my old age, don't set me aside. Don't abandon me when my strength is failing...Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me. Psalm 71:7, 9, 18

In just a few months I will have completed my fifty eighth trip around the sun. Were I to die before that happens, people would say I died young. Yet, I am no longer a young man. Although I cycle, kayak, hike, and love physical activity, the signs of aging are present. I am not as physically strong as I once was, I have aches and pains in places I didn't even know existed just a few years ago. My hair is gray--actually, my hair is nearly neon white!

But as we follow God, our years become our ally. Our soul becomes older, wiser, and spiritually stronger. The longer we live the more new experiences are ours. We even get the opportunity for a few do-overs---to make right some things we have done wrong.

Processing the journey is important, because it is filled with rich examples of God's extravagant grace, love, and kindness. This resume isn't about our accomplishments. Instead, it is a record of great God-stories. As important as processing is, so is communicating our adventures. There is nothing narcissistic about telling our stories. God's rescue, emboldening, protection, healing, and generosity in pouring His eternal life into our vessels of clay needs to be shared. Opportunities to put the spotlight on God's glory are endless.


No comments:

Post a Comment