Monday, August 5, 2013

Allied or Abandoned? (part 2)


My life is an example to many, because you have been my strength and protection...and now, in my old age, don't set me aside. Don't abandon me when my strength is failing...Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me. Psalm 71:7, 9, 18


Transparency allows us to own up to the same spiritual struggle the Psalmist wrestled with--he repeatedly turned his pleas heavenward asking God to never abandon him. At times we will do the same. Why? Because we have experienced being used, and then set aside when people have gotten what they wanted. Also, we have been guilty of the very same thing--abandoning someone when we could no longer exploit them for our own selfish designs. Logic tells us, "What goes around, comes around."

Not so with God. He is an ally of the abandoned, and never abandons an ally.

So, what do we do? We guard our hearts, remember that God is not like us, reject the possibility that God would capriciously use us, and then callously toss us aside. Remember, God doesn't need anything. He sought us out and invited us into His eternal adventure. We can lean on his ever-sufficient grace to cover us.

Astounded by His steadfastness, not ours, we live with the anticipation that every generation gets to see the houselights dimmed, and God put on stage. With humility, we enter His presence and declare, O God. Let me proclaim Your power to this new generation... 

He does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment