Sunday, June 16, 2013

Life In Eden..

The great blue heron who fishes in our pond
So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them...Then God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground...Then God looked over all he made, and he saw that it was very good." ~ Genesis 1: 27-28, 31

Where Sandy and I now live is known as the Norton place--the Nortons being the former owners. Within its boundaries of fifty or more acres there is the main house, a guest cottage, a boat house, and another building that we call the barn. Most of the acreage is wooded, but there is a generous amount of rolling pasture land broken up by towering lines of pine and massive oaks that reach high into the sky and then spill out a whale-spout fountain of green.
A doe with her twin fawns
 To date, we have seen deer, gray squirrels, red squirrels, blue   herons, chipmunks, coyotes, turtles, fish, lizards, scorpions, and nearly every inland bird species that calls the southeast home. And, yes, I have even killed a few poisonous snakes, and caused more than a few turtles' roofs to leak.
Yes, that is a snake next to my 410

Are not God's words though, at the top of this post, magnificent? Look how he introduces himself and tells us about about our original selves. We are the crowning of all he created, and we were created in his image! Rest assured his image is still there, though marred and fallen. Like the rest of his original creation, the core image is still there. Since our redemption, if we have received Christ's work, we are in a place of blessing and restoration. Practically speaking, the image is being recovered.

Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it...

This is a unique time in my life. No one is paying me or demanding from me any kind of services. Daily rhythms are very different than any previous epoch, but my days are full. Although I am not pastor of a church, I stay involved with and available to people. I remain on mission, and getting my heart and soul back is the priority. God's intentions for me remain the same--be fruitful, multiply what you have been given, and reign. During this period I am reading voraciously: memoirs and novels and a variety of genres. Not sure I can explain this, but I am trying to read the Scriptures like a novel or memoir, while constantly praying for fresh eyes that see and ears that hear what God has to say. I am writing consistently. I am learning to cook, to sit still,  to meditate, to trust. I am trying to fully appreciate God's Grace and Love lavished upon Sandy and me. Very little time goes to writing a bucket list; instead I am focusing on a what really matters list.
Our home


I am also treating these fifty acres as my Eden--working the soil, clearing fence lines, cutting away scrub brush, mowing acres, tending to flower beds, ripping up thistles and thorns, and asserting control where nature got out of control. For now, this is where God has put me to bear fruit, multiply, and govern. My gratefulness far surpasses my ability to express it!







No comments:

Post a Comment