Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Closer Look...

Take a closer look...what do you see?
There is beauty in the ruggedness and recklessness of nature. Have you stood beside a raging, muddy current funneling between the banks of a rain-swollen river, or stared at a tree splintered by a lightning strike, or gazed in amazement at the violent aftermath of an ice storm that forced the mightiest of oaks and pines to bow--droplets of water colluded, froze, broke them--and amid the ruin seen beauty? Several times I have hiked the face of Mt. Saint Helen and stood aghast as a silent witness to the massive devastation she wrought when she blew her top.  Such visions I have tried to capture on film to serve as backup for a memory better than my own.

Macro photography, on the other hand, affords the privilege of capturing the delicate and fragile beauty of the created world. Learning to train your eye to see what you might otherwise overlook allows you to step into another world within the larger world. The camera's eye will often see things that your naked eye misses.

Case in point...

Look at the vivid pink daisy. Take a closer look...what do you see? Sprawled across the happy face of the flower is a daddy-longlegs spider!

Then there is this one...

Buzzing from flower to flower was the biggest bee I had ever seen--about an inch long. Setting my camera to its macro function, I followed this guy around trying to get him to agree to a sitting for a photo. Finally, he did. I leaned in, focused, and clicked the shutter. Then I shuddered! Ouch! I yanked back my burning left hand and tried to shake off the pain. I got stung! Again, take a closer look...what do you see? Just to the left of this bee-hemoth's head you can see that someone didn't care for my intrusion!


One more...

In China, bubble making wands are still very popular. Children are fascinated (and so am I) with the fragile colorful orbs created by the wave of their hand. On this particular day the sun was perfectly positioned, and I was trying to photograph the colorful spectrums filtered and separated by the thin shell of the bubble. Dozens of shots were taken. I was trying to catch the short lived rainbows that drifted with the breezes and then, poof, disappeared. I love this picture! Mission accomplished and so much more! Take a closer look...what do you see? 

No comments:

Post a Comment