Sunday, May 5, 2013

PRIMAL

I began to stir at about 5 a.m. It wasn't long before the Keurig began its unique groan and hiss and my white coffee mug was a swirling caldron of steam. Now, it's shortly after 6 a.m. and as I write the natural world stirs from its slumber. A single bird begins to sing and others join its chorus. A frog croaks and from across the pond and another echoes a reply. Off in the east the horizon slowly and steadily diffuses the darkness. Even in the space of time needed to write these few words a symphony of sound is rapidly building and tuning itself to welcome another day.

When I awakened my first impulse was to get out a copy of the Scriptures and a book by Mark Batterson titled, PRIMAL. Alternating between the two reads I began thinking of how I would translate my early meditation into an action plan for the day ahead (why bother reading if you are not going to act). Batterson's quote of Einstein caused me to give more than a passing consideration to the words of the great scientist...




The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has it own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

Einstein, I am not, but I can say beyond any doubt that for as long as I can remember there has never been a shortage of questions in my heart that the reality of life has raised. I know for certain that two primal curiosities have never gone away. First there is the curiosity in the mystery of why life sometimes unfolds in such seemingly chaotic fashion? But perhaps the most important pursuit, driven by a deeper belief, is the search for Sovereign structure in it all?

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. ~ Solomon

Enjoying the Adventure,

Bill

P.S.
After a day of hard rain the sun is out. Fog lifts and rolls across the top of the pond, and the blue sky reflects off its placid surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment