Friday, January 1, 2010

All Things? Yes, All Things

And we know that all things work together for the good for those who love God, and for those who are the called according to His purposes. ~ The apostle Paul

2010 . . .

It's here!

Now what?

If the world continues until January 18 - and presuming that Sandy and I also do - we will be moving to Columbia, South Carolina. Not in our wildest dreams (or nightmares) did we believe we would be making such a quick turnaround. We moved from the Southeast to the Northeast in 2009. Now we are moving from the Northeast back to the Southeast in 2010.

2009 was a spiritually, emotionally, and physically draining year. So much transpired it has been really hard, if not impossible, to process all of it. I just don't have enough context at the present.

Spiritually nothing went as I thought it would when we returned to the Northeast. Spiritual growth has come through facing my own failures. If you have traveled that road you are fully aware of how unglamorous it is, and how deeply God is drilling.

Physically there was the ruptured plantaris that kept me hobbled for at least 2 months, and then in July the violent motorcycle accident that damaged my back. Six months have since passed, and I continue to experience back pain that never takes a day off.

Emotionally, 2009 left me with little reserve. It often seems that my soul continually sighs. But there is always enough desire to keep the pace that life demands.

Writing a post such as this exposes a dark side that one does not ordinarily reveal. We would rather display our bullet proof side. But there is a reason I just go ahead and write. It is a simple reason. As a young boy I was introduced to the Bible. I was told it was inspired by God. It was explained to me that its central theme was God's unrelenting determination to redeem man - restore His image in his beloved. The central character of the Book, Jesus, was God's rescuer. The rescue cost God's Son his life. But he conquered death - because the life in him was God. Since his death and resurrection he extends a 24/7 offer to any and all, "Come to me . . . I am the way to God, I am truth, and I am the life you need. I will restore you." Many years ago Jesus called me, and I responded. Since then, few moments pass when I am not aware of my need for for Him to show me the way, lead me into truth, and bring me the life I need.

At the top of this post are the words spoken by a man in desperate need of redemption and rescue - the apostle Paul. God had taught him, "all things work together for the good for those who love God . . . "

So, whether it be times when all is well, or whether it be times when life is hell - it is this settled belief that God is in "all things" that fuels my hope to "Enjoy the Adventure."

2 comments:

  1. Bill Shorey...thank you again for being vulnerable. I have a January 2, 2009 post that is the first cousin to this one. These are the type of posts that make my Mom call me to see just what is going on!

    Leaning into God's power again though I can't even imagine how I will make it through this time. Bless you and Sandy on the journey. Much love and appreciation.

    --b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link to my Jan. 2 post and then one in October that includes Psalm 88. The darkness has been my closest friend. Bless you and Sandy.

    http://brandichambless.blogspot.com/2010/01/milestones-convicted-by-my-own-hand.html

    http://brandichambless.blogspot.com/search?q=do+the+mountains+still+move

    ReplyDelete