Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Night Vision

There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.
~ Aragorn (Lord of the Rings)

When the valley I walk through is darkened by death shadows--I will fear no evil. For You are with me.
~ King David

Aragorn's quote sometimes seems backwards. In reality, though not always openly confessed, I sometimes wish I had refused some adventures--rather than choosing to begin them. Especially--when in the end--I am surrounded by spiritual darkness. Positive self-talk does little to ease my fear, rebuild a healthy self confidence, or answer my deepest questions as to why things concluded the way they did.

Then, there is David's quote. Think about it. Many an evening David's bed was a lush green pasture. and His quilted comforter was a shimmering covering of stars. When he awakened to a new day, he set out on a meditative stroll along water so still its surface looked like a mirror. With every step he absorbed energy, and spiritual renewal pulsed through his soul. With each step--vigor was restored.

Then, another step or two and--just like that--he found himself in a dark and shadowy place. A place of thick ebony night so dense he even lost sight of his God. But what his sight could not see, his heart could feel--the Presence. He was not alone. This too, was part of the journey.He had made the right choice. Rather than refuse this leg of the journey he stepped into it, and found that its dark ending was a portal to a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment