Friday, February 20, 2009

A Good Thing

Wow! It's been a long time since I posted.

I recently started a part time job working at Planet Fitness. I know there is a fat boy living inside me that wants to get out -- and I believe being physically fit is not a spiritual option -- it is a spiritual discipline. This secondary employment is a gift from God. For me, the interaction with hundreds of people a day, four days a week, is energizing.

More and more, I am becoming convinced that vocational Christian ministry can institutionalize you. No -- not the padded room and singular wardrobe of a tight, white jacket institutionalizing (although it can do that, too) -- I mean, you can spend all of your time within the church institution and culture. You can become completely detached from life outside the church.

I don't know much -- but what I know -- I know for certain. I know for certain that those of us who pastor a church, or teach in a Christian School, or are in some other full time ministry have a propensity to become completely occupied with responding to all the concerns of those already eternally accounted for. All the things that command and consume our time and demand our attention and response can be good and noble, but they become the lesser good when we isolate ourselves from life outside our faith communities.

It's a good thing when we get to experience the world of those we minister to.

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing perspective, Bill...on both levels. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete