Friday, January 2, 2009

New Life Party

The concern for world evangelism is not something tacked on to a man's personal Christianity, which he may take or leave as he chooses. It is rooted in the character of the God who has come to us in Christ Jesus. Thus, it can never be the province of a few enthusiasts, a sideline or a specialty of those who happen to have a bent that way. It is the distinctive mark of being a Christian. -- James S. Stewart

Missionary zeal does not grow out of intellectual beliefs, nor out of theological arguments, but out of love
-- Roland Allen

On Tuesday night we had the study with our Chinese friends using SKYPE. Every time we meet, all of us are incredibly glad to see each other, we laugh a lot, and there is always a great sense and anticipation of the presence of God. When we were getting ready to close, I asked if there were any specific ways I could pray for individuals (we always end this way). At the study was a guest of one of the young men who came to Christ through this study a few months ago. I have to confess, as I said, we always sense and anticipate the presence of God, but I was surprised when he stepped in close to the camera, and asked if I would pray that he, too, would understand how to have relationship with our God.

The essence of what I said was, Pray those very words -- God I, too, want to have a relationship with you. Then I told him that he could be confident that God would open his understanding, his eyes, and his spirit to God's Truth. I prayed for him, then and there, and assured him that all of us would be praying for him.

When it was time for the group break up, Sara gave him a copy of the Purpose Driven Life to take home.

This morning I got an email from Robert and Sara. They told me that our young friend returned to their home last night. He met with Sara and some of our regular group to celebrate the first day of the New Year. He also came with some good new(s) -- God had opened his eyes and his heart to the Truth -- he wanted to receive Jesus as his Savior.

I would love to give you the name of our new brother in Christ, but the circumstances do not allow me to do so. Just go to God and tell Him you heard the good news!

Happy New Year -- Happy New Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment