Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Let the Old Dreams Die

For the first time since 2006 I am watching American Idol. As I watch I am also in a running dialogue with friends on Facebook . . . lots of sarcasm (one of my friends suggested I use the time to do a bible study. My response . . . I am studying idolatry).

For sure, there are cringe moments -- some of the performers are absolutely over-the-top. Absurd. Others, you simply feel sorry for them, they come to American Idol believing they will be discovered, change their world, and change their life -- they are painfully untalented. Then, there are contestants, like a blind performer, named Scott MacIntyre, who is pure inspiration. My guess is that an audience of millions is pulling for him.

But there is a bigger reason for writing this post then to comment on American Idol. We are all dreamers . . . we can't live a healthy, meaningful life without a dream. This morning Sandy and I were engaged in a deep and emotional conversation about our dreams. We have had to grind through the dilemma and agony of what to do with dreams that seem unlikely to come true. Do we hold on to the dream or do we let it go.

We finished our conversation by phone later this morning. I listened intently as she read the lyrics from this song by Avalon.

Dreams I dream for you

You taste the tears
You're lost in sorrow
You see your yesterdays
I see tomorrow

You see the darkness
I see the spark
You know your failures
But I know your heart

The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones you're clinging to
More precious than the finest things you knew
And truer than the treasures you pursue

You see your shame
But I see your glory
You've read one page
I know the story

I hold a vision
Of what you'll become
As you grow into the truth
As you learn to walk in love

Let the old dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
Then take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of
The dreams I dream for you

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I needed that so very much today. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I got to your blog through a friends blog.

    God is marvelous that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. God knows both of us!

    ReplyDelete