Thursday, December 11, 2008

We Have Been Told

God believes that people are capable of amazing things. I have been told that I need to believe in Jesus. Which is a good thing. But what I am learning is that Jesus believes in me. I have been told that I need to have faith in God. Which is a good thing. But what I am learning is that God has great faith in me. ~ Rob Bell (Velvet Elvis)

And the glory that you gave me I have given them . . . ~ Jesus Christ

After Sandy, Meg, and I finished eating gumbo we sat around the dinner table for a couple of hours chatting. Conversation meandered, but almost all the dialogue took some spiritual form or other. After a few minutes I told Sandy and Meagan about a book I had been reading -- Velvet Elvis. I asked them if they would like me to read some of it aloud. Sections of it pertained to our talking points. They wanted me to read -- so, I did. During my monologue, I asked them several times if they wanted me to stop (I read nearly a dozen pages). The answer was an emphatic "No!"

All of us were captured by Bell's quotes above. We discovered that . . .

Neither Sandy or I can recall ever being told, Jesus believes in me.

Neither Sandy nor I can remember ever being told, Jesus has great faith in me.

In the hundreds of sermons we have heard we cannot recollect one passionate proclamation or passive remark that -- the glory God gave Jesus -- Jesus gave to us.

We rejoice! Ignorance can not keep truth captive!

No comments:

Post a Comment