Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's Been Soooo Long!

If all goes as predicted a foot -- or more -- of blowing, swirling snow will be arriving tomorrow. I know, I know, the white stuff will get old by April, but I am going to enjoy this first big one.

Nothing rejuvenates me like being immersed in God's creation, so this afternoon I got my extreme weather gear together, and my backpack is waiting to be stuffed. It has been soooo long since it has seen action. The last time was 4 years ago, when I climbed Mt. Elbert in Colorado. Elbert is the second highest mountain in the contiguous United States, after Mount Whitney in California, and is 65 feet (20 m) shorter than Whitney's 14,505 feet (4,421 m). If for some reason I am unable to spend tomorrow night in the woods (the State Park I have in mind may shut me down), I can still spend the day in some wild New England weather.

Manicured golf courses, resorts, boats that have motors, and mechanized transportation are OK, but for me, getting away from the civilized world is a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment