Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Keep In Touch

The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt. Frederick Buechner

After reading Buechner's quote, a personal inventory seemed in order. How have I -- and how many lives -- have I touched today?

A good question.

My mind went back to about 8 O'clock this morning -- three, 5-year old little guys knocked on my office door and asked (actually they excitedly jumped up and down and pleaded) to see my collection of swords. Last week I used one of them for an object lesson in chapel. To the tiny trio before me I was no longer a pastor -- I was a legend!

Do You want to be touched? Try to touch a young heart and imagination. Watch the wide-eyed expressions. Listen to their breathy gasps. Their drawn out "Wooow!" Witness a band of miniature warriors be swept up in fantastic dreams about valiant battles and fighting Orks!

It took about 5 minutes to touch a life, and for my life to be touched with deep joy . . .

A replica of Peter's sword and shield from the Chronicles of Narnia
Aragorn's reforged sword from The Lord of the Rings
A Samurai sword
A Sword from the Civil War that was once brandished by a Confederate soldier
A Smith and Wesson Special Ops. knife
A Roger's Rangers hatchet (google it if you don't know its significance and history)
A wooden practice sword

But seeing only -- was not be believed. Swords must be handled! Yes. I let those tiny hands pick up those glimmering swords -- under careful supervision, of course!

How about us? What are the things -- the good things -- that have touched us?

Use them to touch another -- who knows where the trembling will stop, or what far place our touch will be felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment