Monday, August 4, 2008

Oh No!

Sandy decided that this would be the summer to push her kayaking skills to another level, and commit to becoming a genuine small mouth bass fisher-woman. She employed me as her instructor. It has been an experience that has far exceeded my expectations. Let me explain . . .

Kayaking: I will be the first to tell you that I was really excited that my bride wanted to become more adventurous and daring in her kayak. But pushing the envelope a little is one thing -- pushing the envelope off the table, and then out the door is altogether different. I have unleashed an elegant, beautiful, soft, dazzling, but none the less -- wild woman!

In front of our cabin is some pretty swift water. Ordinarily, the water is lower at this time of year, so the hydraulics through the ledges are relatively calm. Not this year! The majority of the time I was there it poured rain. One afternoon, in between downpours, we went for a sunset glide. On our way back I did the usual thing -- hang back, and watch Sandy zip across the rips, back to the cabin.

This time was different.

Without warning she aggressively attacked the higher than normal white water, started blading her way toward the roughest, whitest water, and about 15 yards into the swirling current she , not the kayak, turned half way around, and yelled over the rumble of the river, "Awe, this is not nearly as fast as I thought it would be!" Immediately, louder, and with just a slight edge of agitation, I hollered across the boiling cauldron, "Just turn around and watch where you are going!"

It gets worse.

Since I left, it has never stopped raining. Now there is some reeeealy serious water rushing by like a run-away freight train! The Penobscot is thrashing through normally dry cuts, and has even crested the ledges, creating a torrent that is pouring over them.

Sacajawea Sandy has been kayaking through the slot, across the flooded ledges. Alone -- without me -- her instructor!

Fishing: Earlier today she was thrilled that the rain had slowed down enough for her to go fishing! She has recently raided Wally's buying her own tackle box, lures -- top water and diving, bullet sinkers, split shot sinkers, swivels, and hooks of varying sizes (She is reconsidering whether the size I recommend is the best choice. I hate that!). She picked out another rod and reel -- without me (I hate that, too!)!

And then today she called and asked, "Would you go online and check Dopler radar, and see what kind of cloud cover I am under (you can't make this stuff up)? The sun is peeking through, I have all my tackle organized, and I want to go fishing. I have one rod set up with a deep-diving Shadrap, and I Carolina rigged my other rod for bait."

"The cloud cover is over 90%, but you should be fine, I don't see any heavy stuff."

"What? You are bringing two reels? You Carolina rigged one of your rods?"

"Yes. It's legal. Every fisherman can use two rods."

Later on today she called me back, and excitedly gave a fishing report. Because the river is 2-3 feet higher than usual she was able to get to some new places she and I could never get at (I hate that even more).

"Yeah, I caught one bass that was 17 inches long (she has a creel with measuring numbers on it). I figure it must have been over 2 pounds. I also caught 3 white perch (I was the only one who had ever caught white perch on the river)."

"That's really good honey!" She shared a few more of her harrowing adventures, and we said our good-byes.

I needed to hang up -- and finish folding the laundry -- without her . . .

1 comment:

  1. That's my girlfriend! You go girl! I am ready to be her apprentice, her young padawan:)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete