Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Life School

Life is my college. May I graduate well, and earn some honors!
~Louisa May Alcott~

The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me -- the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge will give me . . . ~The Apostle Paul~

Life is my college, says Alcott, and she showed up for class determined to do well. Ms. Alcott believed that if she gave every day of life her best shot there would be some honors on graduation day.

Life is the one college every person must attend. There is no entry examine -- you just show up on the day of your birth. You can't drop out, or flunk out, but you can sit idly, bored, neutralized, or full of fear, and you may have to repeat the same grade year after year. But everyone will graduate, and then receive their final grade.

The apostle Paul left words for his spiritual successors similar to Ms. Alcott's, but he is much more precise. He says, live like you are dying, and here are the disciplines: you must learn to fight fairly, and you must finish your race completely. Also, don't major on your minor, and minor on your major -- remain committed to the core curriculum -- Jesus' redemptive work. It is an open book test, so you must live your life like an open book. There are no trick questions, and every student will be graded fairly based on his or her abilities.

Spiritual Life School -- Everyone can graduate with honors!

No comments:

Post a Comment