Monday, June 9, 2008

Reposted (from 2005)

Thursday, July 14, 2005

From My JournaI -- I Know What They Mean!

Tears, idle tears. I know not what they mean.
Tears from the depth of some Divine despair
Rise in the heart, and gather in the eyes,
In looking on the happy Autumn fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more. -- Tennyson

I recounted my ways and you answered me . . . Record my lament; list my tears on your scroll, are they not in your record . . . I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to you . . ." Psalm 119:26; 56:8; 119:59

Lord, this verse from Tennyson caught my eye. I read it shortly after reading in the Psalms. Like Tennyson, a "Divine despair" often bubbles to the surface, events from "days that are no more." My own failures and pain inflicted by others reveal themselves through tears.

You sent me on a search; I have recounted my ways. On Your scroll each of my laments are recorded. What relief -- if You wrote them down, then You were there! At each line on the ledger, I stop -- and turn my steps to You.

Now tears flow from a different source -- I know what they mean! You promise forgiveness, redemption, and a slate wiped clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment