Friday, June 13, 2008

Reposted (2006)

Unseen Face Seen By The Unseen Face

When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:16


I just read a friend's blog -- a very good blog about communication. She wrote about how we communicate through our expressions and body language. Jesus' words above came to mind.

Jesus spoke of two men doing the exact same thing -- fasting. One man tried to put on a face to impress the faces that looked on. He contorted his expressions in such a way that seemed to say, "See my face; I am fasting! See my face; I am suffering! See my face; I am pious!" Reading between the lines, it appears he was quite convincing. Jesus' words imply that he got his "full reward." Onlookers were impressed with his piety.

The other man was also fasting, but he put on a face just like those around him. He wasn't trying to stand out; he was trying to blend in. Nobody knew that this man has quietly and privately depriving his craving for food, to respond to a deep spiritual craving to communicate with the Father. No need to read between the lines -- Jesus words are clear. The unseen face was seen and rewarded by the Unseen Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment