Saturday, June 28, 2008

Putting Out Fires (Part 2)

Who among you fears the LORD and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness without a ray of light, trust in the Lord and rely on your God. But watch out, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves by your own fires. This is the reward you will receive from me: You will soon fall down in great torment. Isaiah 50:10-11

I can't get enough backpacking or sleeping under a canopy of stars. There are beautiful places I return to often. When I break camp it is important to leave no trace behind. Yet, every time I return to one of my favorite haunts there is evidence of my last stay -- the blackened circle of earth from past campfires.

One of the last places Sandy and I pitched our tent we got deluged. We were at Whiskey Still (isn't that a cool name) when the heavens opened. Peering through the screened flap of our tent and torrential sheets of rain, we watched a churning stream of water come out of nowhere and carry away our kindling, firewood, and anything else that would burn or float! After a couple hours, the dark, brooding skies gave way to the brightness of the sun. 

In the end our story is always the same -- in this journey we need God to show up -- our fires of comfort are easily extinguished.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how very true that is. The road from here isn't all that clear, and I want to rely on my own know-how and planning and move on, but God says to wait, to sit tight and wait.

    ReplyDelete