Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Rare Prayer

Note: I am in the process of transferring some of my posts from -- Devotions For The Adventure. If you have been to the other site some of these posts may sound familiar.

"My eyes fail from searching Your word, saying, 'When will You comfort me?' For I have become like a wineskin in smoke, yet I do not forget Your statutes.'"
Psalm 119:83 (see also verses 84-88)

I can picture David bent over a set of scrolls, eyes blurry from searching God's Word. His finger traces back and forth -- line after line. Nothing. God's Word refuses to yield to his desires. His desperate soul has become like old leather -- brittle and cracked.

What is it he desires? Comfort.

What was going on that drew out this prayer? We have no details, but we do have clues: His discomfort was coming from prideful people who didn't play by the rules (85), he was the recipient of persecution that was undeserved and flat out wrong (86)!

What is the most important question we can ask during such times? I would suggest, "What is God's role in this?" The Spirit of God caused David to recognize he needed revival, "Revive me . . ." David spoke his mind and then changed his prayer! He quit asking for comfort and turned to a prayer for personal revival! God met him -- spiritual strength was revived.

Episodes in our life cause our spiritual knees to buckle. How often do we let our knees continue to bend until we are on our face asking not for comfort, but revival?

"Revive me . . ."

A Rare Prayer, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment