Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sole Survivor

Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen.
~ John le Carre

Exponential concluded around 1 P.M. on Thursday. Within thirty minutes I was behind the windshield with Georgia on my mind. For the next 6-7 hours I stared at the black ribbon stretching out before me, reflecting on the last four days of bobbing along in a spiritual sea of information. Now I am home sorting through the bullet points of inspiration I had recorded as quickly as I could.

Apart from all the take aways from the conference, I wanted to return to a quote by John le Carre I captured. At the time of discovery there was no opportunity to unpack it, but I knew there was something I wanted to come back to. John le Carre talks about a mad journey out of alone-ness. There is a lonely element to success that pushes you to dark edges -- a certain torment that comes with hurdling hurdles and breeching barriers -- a world that one experiences, but never can share it. Under those circumstances success is survived rather than celebrated.

Kindred spirits know exactly of what he speaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment