Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Message

My message is not my own; it comes from the Father who sent me ~ John 7:16

Know this my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger . . . James 1:19

Jesus declared, My message is not my own . . . He never spoke or exercised authority independent of his Father. That meant -- Jesus was never tentative about his message, or unsure when he addressed a situation. It meant -- he never misspoke when he verbally sliced hypocrites to ribbons. It meant -- when dealing with the broken his gentleness and patience was never veiled patronizing to gain popularity or garner sympathy. It meant -- I have something for you -- its not my own -- it comes directly from my Father.

James admonishes us . . . Be quick to listen. Be slow to speak. Be slow to anger. It is clear -- we have to respond to a vast array of circumstances and challenges -- send a message. Make no mistake, James tells us there is a time to listen and there is a time to speak and there is a time for anger. The tricky part -- which message -- and when do I send it?

Such a quandary must not paralyze us -- respond we must. Before we do -- ask this question -- Is my message my own, or did it come from the Father?

No comments:

Post a Comment