Friday, February 29, 2008

Leaplings And Non-Leaplings

A full year consists of 365 days and 6 hours.

Every four years the Gregorian calendar gains an entire day (6 hrs. x 4 years = 24 hrs).

Every four years we synchronize our calendar by adding an extra day in February.

Adding that extra day gives us leap year.

Those born on a February 29 date are called leaplings.

If you were born -- say in 1980 -- theoretically you have only celebrated 4 birthdays, you are only seven years old, you appear on planet earth only 25 times a century, and in order to join the elite and exclusive Leapling Octogenarian Club you will have to live among us non-Leaplings for 4-hundred years!

5 comments:

  1. Easy there Bill. A century year is not a leap year unless it is evenly divided by 400. For instance the year 2000 was a leap year, but the year 2100 will not be a leap year. But since neither one of us will live 400 years, it won't exactly matter to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Good to hear from you! I totally agree with your comment, however I don't understand a word of it ;)

    Did you get up to the county snow-mobiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that son Jeff is a leapling? Celebrated his 6th birthday with him in Orlando this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sir, I've been up! 2100 miles this year so far, 5300 last year and 4300 the year before. I haven't found a better way at the glory of God's creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim,

    I have a bible study with a group of twenty-something year olds on Monday's. Last night I was telling them that for me I enjoy the presence of God there more than any any other environment. I am bask in the grandest of our Creator.

    Re: sledding--you surely have had plenty of the white stuff this winter. I cycle at least 3000 plus miles a year (some days I feel like I am on a snowmbile!).

    Godspeed

    ReplyDelete