Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Spirit's Liberty

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. Paul's letter to the Corinthians

This morning I brought the second of a two-part message. Last week I talked about Releasing the Power of God, based on Romans 1:16, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God for salvation.” This week I brought the other side of that truth, Releasing the People of God. The power of the gospel is released in people--God’s people are released into the world.

To emphasize one of the points of the message, I told an anecdote describing the impact Silas Fox had on me as a child. Silas was converted from Judaism to Christianity. Through a series of God’s interventions he became a missionary to India, and an itinerant evangelist. As I have said before, our new church family is diverse. When the service was over a family of several generations from India waited to speak to me. The Patriarch of the family told me, in his heavily accented English, “I heard Silas Fox speak when I was a younger man. He was a very captivating preacher. He would simply stop on a street, gather a crowd through magic tricks or singing, and begin to preach.” My new friends extended an open arms invitation to come stay in their home in India and evangelize their city!

Bringing God’s Word in my new environment -- to many people I hardly know -- can be difficult. But today, the Spirit of God was at work with all His liberating Presence! Our gathering reflected a freedom that is hard to describe. We all left the building with the sense that God had met with us in community. Free indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment