Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Accepted!

Sandy got a call from Lesley University in Cambridge, MA. She has been accepted into their low residency MFA program in creative writing. It is a two year program and she will specialize in nonfiction. In that discipline an MFA is a terminal degree, but she plans on pursuing a PhD when she finishes at Lesley.

This may not be a record, but it is better than average -- 4 out of 5 in the Shorey family, Josh, Meagan, Bill, and Sandy are all in college! Josh will graduate in December, but the rest of us have a way to go. Meg is in her second year working toward a Bachelors degree in Psychology, and I am working on a Masters in Business Leadership! True, we will probably end up in the college tuition poor house, but what the heck!

Abraham Lincoln was quoted as saying, "I will prepare and be ready. Perhaps my chance will come." Sandy and I feel the same way. There is a great hunger around the world for college-educated Americans to come to their less developed countries and teach. For Sandy and me in particular, our degrees will provide us with income and a platform to do missions around the world. We may never leave our native soil, but regardless, we want to be prepared should the calling from above come.

The concentric circles that make up my life are shrinking down to the core purpose for which God saved me -- bringing the Kingdom to places where the King is unknown! I love my country, but I am finding that God has gifted me to go where others would be reluctant to go -- the thought of going to foreign soil thrills me.

In the meantime I have the privilege of passing on my passion to the church where God has blessed me to serve. At Christ Community I have found many a kindred heart when it comes to working outside the box! In two weeks I will set foot on the soil of Venezuela! After that I will be leading teams to Greece, and then on to Bolivia! At each stop the goal is to plant churches or to bring construction teams to build a modest meeting place to house a community of believers!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Shorey/Pastor Shorey/Bill/Pastor Bill/Josh's Dad...whatever you prefer!:) This is Anna Lifsey (used to be Kennedy). I just wanted to say hello from New Zealand and let you know that Dalton and I are excited to have you covering us. Even though I have had very little interaction with you, I was very excited to hear that you were coming to CCC and I have anticipation in my spirit to see what the Lord is up to. I look forward to interacting with you more as the years pass and hope that we can get some time with you while we're home over Christmas. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete