Thursday, September 20, 2007

Strippers Wanted

Yes you read correctly. Now you are probably wondering why in the world I would title a post "Strippers Wanted." Well, that is what the sign says on the marquee of the VIp Club located a little more than 100 yards east of Christ Community Church where I am now serving. Directly across the street is Memory Lane, also a bar. The buildings we meet in are not ornate. Truth is, they are pretty tired. A former car dealership ringed by even less attractive buildings.

Our neighborhood is a perfect place for God and His people to set up shop!

At Christ Community, my calling is to equip the body so that it can grow into and become salt and light and leaven. Sometimes the application of who we are will take us across the street. Over the next 18 months it will take some of us around the world to places like Venezuela, Greece, Bolivia, Hungary, India. In every endeavor the goals are: reaching all people; equipping God's people; releasing people to God's purposes. Ten percent of every penny that comes into CCC goes toward missions, most of it for boots on the ground and hands-on mission work!

Christ Community is a very diverse congregation: African American; Asian; Latino; Indian; Caucasian. Not only is it racially diverse, but you will also find blue collar, white collar, and some without-even-a-dollar workers. We have a first rate skateboard park for the skater community called Refuge; seventy-five to one hundred Teen Advisers meet here on Tuesday night; Friday night is the CORE (definitely out of the box)! The church is unusually committed to all day prayer through a ministry called CRAVE (feel free to join us any Thursday at noon). There is much more.

I wanted to give my friends an update on what Sandy and I are doing. Most important to us are the words Christ delivered to the church at Philadelphia, I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can shut. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me. Revelation 3:8

In the end, that is all that is going to matter!

3 comments:

  1. Remind me to tell you sometime about the Memory Lane ministry that my team and I began when I was here for my first ministry tour of duty as director of outreach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pastor Shorey!

    I was glad to stumble back across your blog today and definitely was blessed to read it. I hope things are going well for you and your family; they sound like they are!

    Now that I've got you bookmarked, I'll be back by often.

    -Andy Jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,
    I enjoy reading your Blog. Sounds like you are in a great position to reach people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I will have to say, I was saddened about the change of plans. I was looking forward to visitying Montana and maybe having a Frappachino together. Please stay in touch. We miss you guys.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete