Friday, June 29, 2007

From: Landon's Mom

Dear Family and Friends,

As I write this, Landon is undergoing her surgery for the organ donation. It has been a long couple of days. Ed decided to stay in Great Falls with his parents and await her surgery. I came back to Livingston with my parents and Edison this morning to start making arrangements. I feel like I'm just going through the motions - that this really can't be happening - so thank you so much for the calls, emails, etc. that is helping us to get through all this.

We have been told that the heart is going to a 14 year old girl in Indiana, lungs to someone in Ohio, one kidney Tennessee and the other to Minnesota, intestines to a child in Pittsburg, liver to a child in Washington, and the spleen to someone in Oregon. Other items such as skin grafts, tissue, muscles they have not told us yet, but we should receive greater details after it all takes place. Though I know I will be grieving for my baby for a long time; it helps us greatly to know that someone is benefiting from all of this and the fact that we know that Landon is in a better place with a whole new/healed body.

So, to get on to the arrangements...

We will be having a funeral in Livingston on Monday at 9:00 am at the Livingston Christian Center. We've been told they don't have visitations prior to the funeral here (a southern thing I suppose), but will have a reception afterwards to talk, eat, etc.

After that we will be flying to KY, and have visitation from 4-8 pm on Thursday at Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church and then the funeral will be there Friday at 1:00 pm.

We have requested that in lieu of flowers donations be made to either Samaritan's Purse (Landon's favorite charity organization), Gideon's International, or our church plant (Cornerstone Community Fellowship, PO Box 1987, Livingston, MT 59047).

Landon has always felt it was horrible that people wore black to a christian funeral - she could understand it if they weren't christians - but always felt christians should be upbeat when a fellow christian went to heaven. So to honor her, if you plan on attending either of the above, feel free to wear something bright, pastel, or whatever. We want to make her funeral a true celebration of her life....though I'm sure I'll be crying buckets myself....or maybe my tear ducts will be all dried out by then.

Edison, like the rest of us, is taking this pretty hard. He's cried, talked about her a lot, and tonight even wrote a poem for her. But he's also hugged me a lot and helped me to get through the day. Like the rest of us, he can be laughing one minute and crying the next.

I know this roller coaster called grief will be a life long process for all of us....thanks so much for the prayers and support you have given us. It has made such a difference and we all appreciate it so much.

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Ed & Karen:
    We've never met personally, but I've felt so close to your family this past week. I was part of the team from Florida that helped the Seddon and Wood families, and we share in your sorrow as we followed the events that transpired in real-time via cell phone updates to Paul and Cody. Landon is a very special person, and I can't imagine what your family must be going through right now.
    I continually pray for you and your ministry in Livingston. I am confident the Lord will use this opportunity to do a mighty and awesome work in the community.
    I did meet Edison at lunch before we left; what a wonderful brother Landon has! God bless you all.

    Vernel Oberes, Fleming Island Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete