Thursday, February 2, 2006

The Good And Bad Embedded In Words

. . . A harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

Driving along Warm Springs Road this morning, I found myself rehearsing bad words. I don't mean I was muttering profanity, curses, or swearing under my breath. I mean I was rehearsing some bad words I heard spoken about another person. Those words began to agitate me like a mixer churning my spirit.

I caught myself and tried rehearsing some good words. My mind labored to seek out good words, yet the bad words had come seeking me. Maybe it is no surprise to you that bad words stick with you longer than good words.

Paul reminds us that our hearts must be on alert (Philippians 4:7-8). We must guard against insurgents, disquised in words, that stir up anger. We must also send patrols into our thought life to retrieve good words. The Spirit-controlled mind seeks out the noble, pure, lovely, admirable, and praiseworthy -- embedded in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment