Saturday, January 7, 2006

Heading North with Dumpster Divers

On January 1, I headed North to Maine. I was not alone; three college students were with me. Other men have been to my sanctuary on the Penobscot River, and the stories that came back from their adventure created a yearning. My new traveling companions have been dying to go to my cabin.

There is a considerable difference between winter and summer in Maine . . .

The cabin is just that -- a cabin -- gas lights, wood stove, no running water, and an outhouse! I will tell you more about that later, but first I want to tell you about the journey there. We drove straight through to Greenbush, Maine from Columbus, Georgia; a trek just under 1500 miles. We stopped for gas and ate our food as we drove. We were on a mission!

I hold the three young men who traveled with me in high regard. They are extremely bright, adventurous, and committed to Christ. They all attend UGA, and I have already been to China with them on a very non-typical mission trip. You learn a lot about people when you are trapped in a vehicle for 24 plus hours.

I learned that they are Dumpster Divers.

Dumpster Divers? What is a dumpster diver? I will try to explain. These guys have developed a very profitable business by diving for blue cups in the trash dumpsters at Wendy's. Here's how it works. The blue cups contain a promotion from AirTran. For every 64 cups you can get a free round trip to any place AirTran flies. My boys dumpster dive and then sell the promo's on E-bay. They have made over One-thousand-three-hundred dollars selling blue Wendy's cups!

Every couple of days they put on rubber gloves, old clothes, and dig through the dumpsters. I will not go into detail, but there is a lot of stuff in a dumpster besides blue cups. They do their foraging after Wendy's closes, around 2 a.m. -- most of the time. The one exception was the Wendys we stopped at in Massachusetts, in broad daylight.

They got 24 cups!

No comments:

Post a Comment