Sunday, January 29, 2006

Desperate Dreamer

Nebuchadnezzar had dreams; his mind was troubled and he could not sleep . . . The king asked Daniel, "Are you able to tell me what I saw in my dream and interpret it? Daniel replied, "No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain the mystery he has asked about, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries."

I have dreams . . . the kind that happen while I sleep. Do you? I can rarely remember the dreams I have, but sometimes I can, and wonder what they meant. I also have dreams when I am wide awake. Sometimes I carry those dreams to bed and I cannot sleep. I suspect the latter were the kinds of dreams that Nebuchadnezzar had.

Events take place in our lives that elicit dreams. Some dreams tease us -- little things happen and we wonder if they portend something greater. We begin to dream, "Will the many little events one day coalesce like mercury into something grander?" For pastors, it may be as simple as whether or not an opportunity to talk to an audience of fifty will open doors to speak to five thousand. When God saved us, He called us into an adventure as big as Him. A healthy faith prompts us to dream, "Is this the beginning of something that will grow to be God-sized?"

Other dreams torment us. How so? We wonder if the endless little events that make up our lives portend a lifetime of miniature events. We ask, "Are my dreams pipe dreams? Will they shatter into even smaller dust-sized particles?" For pastors, it may be as simple as whether or not an opportunity to talk to an audience of fifty will be the last opportunity to speak to anyone! An unhealthy faith prompts a chaotic spiral that turns dreams into the nightmare of a question, "How could we possibly step into an adventure as big as God?"

The future is a mystery, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. In the end, we are desperate dreamers -- desperately dependent on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment