Saturday, December 10, 2005

It's Funny Now!

I made it! Last night we had our Christmas presentation and I didn't make the unfortunate mistake of telling hundreds of people (children included) that, "You know who" is not "r-e-a-l!"

Yes, last year I did just that. I have never witnessed "Peace on earth" exit a church sanctuary any faster! The audience was traumatized and I was verbally brutalized; forunately, no one was institutionalized.

In the spirit of the up coming "Auld Lang Syne," I have posted last year's attempt to reconcile with the congregation I serve.

The Unintentional Grinch

My recent descent into “Grinchhood” has left me rather uncomfortable. Saturday night, after the tremendous Christmas presentation, I went to bed and dreamed the choir opened the Sunday morning worship service with a slightly altered version of “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.”

You’re a mean one, Pastor Shorey
You really are a heel.
You’re as cuddly as a cactus,
You’re as charming as an eel...

You’re a monster, Pastor Shorey
Your heart’s an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders,
You’ve got garlic in your soul.

There are more verses, but, I think you hear my heart—I know I upset many. I am deeply sorry. I revealed, to a mixed audience (adults AND CHILDREN), that “You know who is not r-e-a-l.” Why, in the planning and preparation of what I wanted to say, it did not enter my mind, I will not try to defend.

The three words that would best describe how I felt shortly after the service are “Stink, Stank, Stunk!” Please accept my apologies.

Mangled up in tangled up knots,

Pastor Shorey

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, but even the Grinch was a good guy in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's sad that people in the church get more upset about you exposing Santa than the lost and dying world around them. I don't think it's wrong for children to believe in Santa, but I don't think you should apologize for stating the truth. What would Jesus say if he saw our outrage over Santa juxtaposed with our apathy toward the lost? It's an interesting question to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Desperate Son. Some thought the parents should tell the children about Santa -- not the pastor.

    Unfortunately, the response typifies the age we live in. God's people get agitated and incensed about music, sermon props, and length of services, etc. We don't fight many battles of substance.

    ReplyDelete