Saturday, December 17, 2005

Beginning 50

What a surprise when the Beach Boys entered with the aid of canes, crutches, and walkers to celebrate my fiftieth birthday. The guys still have it; they really rocked the joint! Oh sure, they had a little age on them, but they raised the roof.

That would have been enough to make the night a success, but lo and behold, Sonny and Cher took the stage to sing their trademark song, "I Got You Babe." Sonny managed a post-mortem appearance!

The entertainment came to a crescendo when the Shirelles brought a slightly revised version of "The Boy from New York City." The lead singer looked exactly like my wife.

Ooo wah, ooo wah cool, cool kitty
Tell us about the boy who’s turnin’ fifty
Ooo wah, ooo wah he’s so nifty
Tell us about the boy who’s turnin’ fifty

He’s so divine. He’s really fine.
And I am glad that he is mine, all mine.
And he’s neat. And oh so sweet.
And just the way he looked at me He swept me off my feet

Ooo whee, you ought to come and see
The way he walks And how he talks.

Ooo wah, ooo wah he’s so nifty
Tell us about the boy who’s turnin’ fifty

He likes to hike--and ride his bike.
He has the finest camp house—you’ve never seen the like.
And he’s cute. In his three piece suit.
And I really like when he wears his cowboy boots

Ooo whee, say you ought to come and see
His chain saw scar and his daughter's car.

Every time he says he loves me
Chills run down my spine.
Every time he wants to kiss me He makes me feel so fine.

Ooo wah, ooo wah he’s so nifty
Tell us about the boy who’s turnin’ fifty
Ooo wah, ooo wah cool, cool kitty
Tell us about the boy who’s turnin’ fifty

On the seventeenth of December, my nephew Ron and I set out on our bicycles; it was a brisk 36 degrees! When we finished for the morning, we had covered 46 miles. I changed my day off from Friday to Monday and we did another 77 miles. Once again, it was 36 degrees when we left for Piedmont in Pine Mountain. We were going to do a century, but I ran out of gas. I will try again this weekend.

The remainder of the week was chock full of pastoral stuff. I had several counseling sessions, visited the sick, responded to e-mails, and prepared for our Annual Church Conference. Saturday night we will have our Christmas Eve service; it will be wonderfully simple as we sing worshipful songs with Christmas themes, read the Christmas story, and observe the ordinance of communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment