Friday, December 16, 2005

5 Decades And A Fresh 50!

I awoke to the first day of my sixth decade; a half century of thriving and surviving. The first morning of my fiftieth is very similar to the former in many ways: I put on a pot of coffee, read Oswald Chambers (Wrestling with God), prayed, checked my email, and read the Boston Globe. The phone rang at 7 a.m., a call from some old friends in Northern Maine. "How does it feel to be 50?" I was asked. "Straight ahead and never mind the mud!"

This day will be different. Ron and Angela (family) are coming from Florida. Ron and I are going to do some cycling over the next couple of days. Ron is bringing me some cold weather gear to wear. My wife and the church I pastor are throwing a party for me. That is cause for alarm, "What goes around -- comes around." The folks here have come to grips with a fact my wife has long known: I miss few opportunities to torment the daylights out of people!

While reading Chambers this morning a couple of phrases stood out, "If you wrestle with God, you will be crippled for the rest of your life." I know that to be true; I am enjoying the Adventure, but my soul walks with a limp. Chambers devotional ended with these words, "We don't have to fight or wrestle with God, but we must wrestle before God with things. Beware of lazily giving up. Instead, put up a glorious fight and you will find yourself empowered through His strength."

Hmmm . . . a great charge to start a fresh 50!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Shorey,
    It's been a long time, but I'm home in Maine on break and my mom gave me your blog address. I just thought I'd stop by and say hello! Hope all is well down in the south and I hope you all have a great Christmas!
    - Laura O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    Great to hear from you. We are doing well in Dixie. All the kids will be here for Christmas and we will have a brand new daughter-in-law fresh out of the package. Her name is Erika.

    I hope that I am able to catch up with all the Willettee's this summer.

    ReplyDelete