Saturday, November 12, 2005

Hunting Report

Friday morning I saw a buck at 6:25 a.m. I could see that it had horns, but could not tell how many points. It didn't stay put long; when I brought my scope up to try and identify the brown blur about 75 yards away, it was looking right at me. He turned, walked into the woods, and I heard him circle away from me to my left. At 8: 25 another buck came out; he had 6 points. He fed a little, sniffed the air, and then went over to the tree line and left his mark. Fifteen minutes later there were 8 gobblers feeding in the dove field about 250 yards away. I enjoyed watching them and seeing the sun reflect off their shiny black feathers as they fed in and out of the shadows.

I returned to the same area but to a different stand that evening. I only saw one small deer.

At 6:25 a.m. Saturday morning, I saw two deer scamper across the opposite end of the field; I couldn't tell what gender they were. At 7:25 and 8:25 I saw a 4 pointer and then a 6 pointer. Funny how it happened, I saw the first one when I stood up to stretch. I could see parts of the field around the food plot I could not see when sitting. The 4 pointer was very small; its left front leg was lame. After he left, I got to thinking I ought to stand up again for a better view. This time I saw the 6 pointer in another part of the field. When I first saw him he was over 200 yards away; I thought I had something to take home. Eventually, he worked his way within 5o yards of my stand; I counted his points more than once. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment